Tuesday 6 March 2012

Jo'burg gets its groove back

Last weekend the Sydney Morning Herald's travel section published a feature article on Johannesburg - Jo'burg gets its groove back.  It is a great snapshot of the city's rejuvenation, and for my own part I was excited to recognise in the article the hotel I stayed in (Lamunu), the cafes I frequented (at Seventy Juta Street) and the snippets of wisdom from Tania Olsson - my regular tour guide/new best friend during my visit!  Certainly this article captures the Jo'burg that I experienced while I was there, and having now been back in Australia for a few weeks, it was wonderful to be whisked back across the oceans over a cup of coffee and the Saturday paper.

I will return to Jo'burg later this year and plan to spend approximately six months based there while I conduct my PhD research proper.  Some of my research will be in South Africa itself, but I also intend to visit a number of other African countries, including Kenya, Uganda and Ethiopia, in an attempt to better understand the legal and practical machinations of Africa's refugee protection system.

I feel excited and privileged to spend time in Jo'burg this year.  In a few years' time, when the effect of the city's rejuvenation spreads, tourists will be lining up to experience its energy and culture.  But at the moment it remains firmly off the South African tourist trail - indeed, many people told me that I had seen more of Johannesburg in my brief three week stay than most locals.

My weekend reading prompted me to post a few more photos of this very cool and very exciting city - as well as being incredibly historically and culturally interesting, it is just a really great place to visit!

Hotel Lamunu - the orangest hotel I have ever stayed in.

The alleyway opposite my hotel, leading to the Neighbourhood Goods
 Market - a fabulous food and crafts market in the centre of Braamfontein

Inside the Neighbourhood Goods Market

One of Braamfontein's newly developed student accommodation buildings

Street entertainment

Me enjoying the world's most amazing (and enormous) slice of apple
pie.  I shared this with Tania and between us we couldn't finish it!

Kitchener's - the oldest hotel in Jo'burg.

Jo'burg skyline - from the road leading to Soweto

Street art in Newtown - Jo'burg's 'cultural precinct'

Amazing crepes in the CBD

Linda and Tania - two of my guides extraordinaire!


No comments:

Post a Comment