Thursday 1 November 2012

Bandit




This is my little friend at the Nairobi Guesthouse.  One of my fellow housemates, Anneke, has named him Bandit.  Others here think that he might have previously had a different name - like Button - but I definitely think Bandit suits him much better.  He has way too much attitude for a cutesy name like Button...


Bandit is one of two kittens that have claimed territory over the Guesthouse.  Judging by the greater size and strength of the other one - Bandit is tiny - my guess is that Bandit fell to number 2 in the pecking order.  But to make up for it, he has wormed his way in with the humans.  I need only sit on the front porch with food for a few seconds and Bandit will faithfully appear and wait patiently for his share.  He approaches by stalking - crouched, very low and very slow - so that the first time I thought  there was either a mouse nearby that I hadn't noticed, or he was about to pounce on my bowl of muesli!  Bandit only eats human food.  Beans, carrots, pasta - yes please.  Tuna, beef - bring it on!  Cat food? Sniff...

Bandit won't let you touch him, and he won't come in the house (Anneke and I have secretly tried to encourage him in).  But for a cat that plays so hard to get, he is very demanding!  And if I am late with his tuna, he'll sit at the front door eyeballing me down the hall in the kitchen.  Bandit will eat pasta from my hand, sort of.  If I dangle it from my finger, he'll swipe it off with his paw.  He employs that same strategy when I serve him tuna with a fork.  I have to make sure I get it out of the can and on to the ground quick smart, if I dilly dally on the way down Bandit will take a swipe and tuna goes everywhere!

Usually I would worry about what will happen to a stray animal I'm feeding when I go.  But in this case I'm not too worried.  The night guards feed Bandit their chapatis, other housemates feed him their pizza.  Even my driver, George, knows Bandit - 'that cat will eat anything!'  Well, yes, except cat food. Something tells me that Bandit has both the charm and the smarts to make it just fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment