Wednesday 24 October 2012

Fashion in the field



Patrick (my brother, a journalist) loves conducting interviews.  He describes it as ‘a socially acceptable way of prying into other people’s lives’.  While I’m not sure that interviewing lawyers and government officials about international refugee law offers quite the same voyeuristic opportunities, it certainly does provide some interesting perspectives on the diversity of life and work in Africa.  From interviewing staff at Kenya’s largest refugee NGO – in a rundown old suburban house, with plywood screens for walls and electricity dropping in and out – to meeting with one of UNHCR’s regional representatives – in a shiny new megastructure in the lush green hills of Nairobi’s expensive northern outskirts, bound by retractable security barriers and landscaped gardens, and with the whiff of cow dung and coffee plantations in my nose.

This huge variety in interview environments creates one rather significant challenge for me – deciding what to wear.  Dress too casual for the UNHCR and I will look like an amateur student, dress too smart for some NGOs and I will seem out of touch and unable to comprehend the realities of refugees on the ground.  Add to that the interminable roadworks taking place in Nairobi at the moment, which mean that anything showing dust is a no-no and open-toed shoes will bring me home with black feet.  Add to that the issue of security – no jewellery, a cheap looking but suitably professional handbag, and nothing that makes me look like I’m likely to be carrying much cash... Unless, like yesterday, I’m travelling by car to meet a High Court judge at a five-star hotel restaurant, in which case scrounge around for the smartest, poshest, least creased outfit I can muster, whip out the new handbag and don the heels!

Luckily for me, I had anticipated just these sorts of challenges before leaving home.  I have been working on my ‘Africa wardrobe’ for almost 10  years now – ever since I saw The Constant Gardener – and progressively building my stock of light weight but suitably modest short-sleeved blouses and calf length skirts.  Too bad most of them wore out before I made it here.  I also spent a full day in Sydney with Mum experimenting with different combinations of clothes, shoes, belts and scarves, all with a combined weight of less than 23 kilos.  So when I dressed and went down to breakfast this morning and one of my housemates told me I looked ‘totally Africa chic’ in my short-sleeved apricot blouse, cream skirt and brown sandals, I was secretly pretty chuffed.

So here, for your viewing pleasure, I present some selected examples from Tamara Wood’s ‘Africa 2012’ collection.  Now I just need to decide what to wear for my excursion on Monday, accompanying a legal aid outreach team on their visit to Eastleigh, the Nairobi suburb home to a large population of Somali refugees and affectionately (or disparagingly, depending on your point of view) known as ‘Little Mogadishu’.

A typical, NGO/university interview outfit - the mini yellow cardigan is great for
making sleeveless tops decent and protecting shoulders from sunburn.
Everyday Joburg street wear - great for days off and posing with funny signs.
Light weight cardigan - good for warm, sunny African days.  The cream colour is
 perfect for those  meals that involve eating barbecued meat with your hands....
Probably my favourites dress and cardigan - great for the cooler climate of Cape Town.  Smart
enough for an interview but comfy enough for admiring the view from the top of Table Mountain!
Dressing up for a jazz safari. 
Layering.  The only way to keep warm when you packed for summer and its still only spring. 
Wearing every item of clothing you brought and your boyfriend's jacket.  The
only way to keep warm when it turns freezing and all you have is sandals!
African safari meets hip hop.  I love this hat - I'd wear it every day but I might
 as well wear a sign that says "Hi, I'm a tourist, mug me for my money belt". 
A new purchase from Joburg's Rosebank rooftop market.  This dress has just the right
 amount of Africa without looking ridiculous accompanied by red hair and freckles.

2 comments:

  1. Looking good! I love the dress in the last photo! I also enjoyed the 'no hooting' sign. Hehe.
    Ness xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks just like a catalogue shoot! I'll have one of everything please. Locations look fab too! Jane xx

      Delete