Wednesday 17 October 2012

Nairobi

Well Nairobi has so far failed utterly to live up to its harsh reputation.  Not only is it a far more relaxed city than the Lonely Planet nickname ‘Nairobbery’ would have you believe, it is also beautiful.  The streets are lush and green, the air is clean and the people are incredibly friendly – ‘hello sister/my friend/mzungu!’ (Mzungu means foreigner, the literal Swahili translation is ‘one who wanders aimlessly’.)  From my room at the British Institute Guesthouse in Kileleshwa, just 25 minutes walk from the CBD, I can’t hear a single car.  And when I wake up in the morning I look out my window to trees, blue sky, birds and monkeys!  Nairobi, I love you.

I am well aware that the Nairobi I have experienced so far is a far cry from the Nairobi experienced by all its residents.  To the south, for example, lies Kibera – one of the world’s biggest slums, made famous by the movie The Constant Gardener.  And security is definitely an issue – I was frisked and had my bag searched at the entrance to the Yaya Shopping Centre this morning.  But there’s no question that the streets here are friendlier and more relaxed than those of Jo’burg.  For a start, they are full of people.  Unlike the fortresses of Jo’burg’s northern suburbs, where the view consists of high walls and cars and pedestrians are rare, here life is happening on the streets – people walking to work, chatting to neighbours, selling fruit and plants and barbequed corn (and greeting the mzungu!).  And while the high electric fences still exist, at least in my neck of the woods, they seem somehow more of a relic than the embodiment of entrenched divides and paranoia.

My lodgings are in the Guesthouse of the British Institute of East Africa (BIEA).  The Institute started in 1960, with a focus on Archaeology and History, but now supports research in the broader humanities, including Law.  It runs its own projects, as well as providing a base for visiting researchers conducting research not only in Kenya but in other East African countries as well.   Perhaps most fortuitously, the big old house within the BIEA compound is run as a Guesthouse, providing cheap accommodation and fantastic wifi to people like me!

The Guesthouse is really like a very large sharehouse – from the shared living and kitchen areas, to the name tags on milk cartons, to the big sign above the sink exhorting people to clean up after themselves.  My housemates are one Kenyan, two Americans, a Canadian and a Brit.  Most of them are quite a bit younger than me, a not so subtle reminder that is now some years since the height of my sharehousing days…  But they are all lovely and welcoming, and a wonderful source of information on how to navigate Nairobi.

As far as work goes, I have hit the ground running in Nairobi.  Day 1 – guest lecture at the university.  Day 2 – first interview.  The lecture went well, and the students – all of them working full time in legal practice while they undertake their Master – were a dynamic, engaged and inquiring group, just what every teacher wants.  In fact, I think that listening to their questions and discussion was probably more useful to me than my presentation on Research Methods was to them!  For my research, I have already lined up another five interviews – with UNHCR and a number of NGO representatives – for the coming week.  After these I will decide whether to stay in Nairobi, try to visit one of the refugee camps, or make a quick side trip to Tanzania or Uganda.  But for the rest of this week I plan to check out the CBD, visit the Museum and hopefully pay a visit to one of the excellent conservation projects on Nairobi’s outskirts.  I just need to decide whether it will be the Giraffe Centre, which was established by the grandson of a Scottish earl in 1979 and has singlehandedly saved the Rothschild giraffe from extinction, or the Sheldrick Wildlife Trust, where David and Daphne Sheldrick pioneered techniques for raising orphaned elephants and rhinos and reintroducing them to the wild.

A room with a view.  The monkeys think so too - this
morning I woke to one peering at me from the rooftop.
Walking to the local shops in Kileleshwa, 3 km from the CBD.  It's like walking in the
countryside!  Except for where there are roadworks - then it's like walking in a dust storm.
Roadside trading.  Almost one in three roadside stalls in Nairobi seems to be
selling plants, which would explain the beautiful greenery everywhere.

1 comment:

  1. Gosh you have an exciting interesting life Tamara! Keep the posts coming :)

    ReplyDelete